📆 Your joke writing challenge topic for today is Hotel Hell.
Creating Comedy Gold: Your Ultimate Guide to Crafting 100 Unique Character Voices
Hey there, comedy-loving learners! If you’ve ever wondered how you could create 100 (or even more!) distinctly different voices, then today’s your lucky day. Darren McStay is here with a plethora of tips, all rolled into a comprehensive voice training session. Here’s a friendly recap of the major takeaways:
😏 TAKE THE QUIZ BELOW
- Warm-Up Is Essential: Before you start experimenting with your voice, make sure you’re thoroughly warmed up to prevent any potential strain.
- The Power of LABAN Efforts: Devised by Rudolph Laban, these are a series of physical or emotional traits you can emulate. There are eight LABAN efforts – dabbing, flicking, pressing, thrusting, wringing, slashing, gliding, and floating – that can instantly give you eight distinct voices.
- Play with Nasality, Throatiness, and Normalcy: Determine whether the voice originates from the nose (nasally), throat (throaty), or a combination of the two (normal). Combining these three options with the eight LABAN efforts gives you 24 different voices.
- Consider Breathiness or Dryness: Adding these two variations to your 24 voices will double your options to 48.
- Think about Age: Add variety by modifying your voice to sound like a child, an adult, or an older person. This multiplies your options to a whopping 144 voices!
- Experiment with Gender: Try your version of a male and female voice. Remember, it’s not about perfectly mimicking the opposite gender, but adding characteristic elements to your voice, resulting in 288 different voices.
- Factor in Size: Play around with the idea of size, creating voices for small, medium, or large characters, further expanding your voice arsenal to 864 different voices.
- Vary the Tempo: Slow, medium, or fast speaking speeds can change the dynamics of your voice, giving you 2592 possibilities!
- Alter the Volume: Varying the volume, from soft-spoken to medium to loud, can multiply your options to 7,776!
- Switch Up the Tone or Attitude: Adding in a friendly, impartial, or aggressive tone can dramatically influence your character, racking up 23,328 voice possibilities.
- Try Different Accents: Playing with ten different accents can amplify your character voices to an astounding 233,280!
- Add Unique Speech Elements: A lisp or a stammer can lend authenticity to a character, further boosting your voice variety.
Remember, your voice is an instrument, and the more adeptly you learn to play it, the better your performances will be. It’s not about nailing 100 voices right off the bat, but rather understanding the numerous possibilities and developing a repertoire that suits you. You’ve got the tools and knowledge – now it’s time to practice! Happy voice-creating!
|2||Jane Joan Costagliola||30/30|